History

Establishment

With guidance from the Georgia Department of Archives and History, the Thomaston-Upson Archives was established in 1994. With the cooperation and funding assistance of the City of Thomaston, the County of Upson, the Thomaston-Upson Board of Education and the Upson Historical Society, the Archives opened in 1996. By working together, they have undertaken the task of cutting local government cost while preserving vital permanent records of the citizens of Thomaston and Upson County. The Thomaston-Upson Archives is housed in the former R. E. Lee Institute high school library, named the George A. Harrison Memorial Library. Professor Harrison was principal of R. E. Lee Institute from 1879 to 1886.

ArchivesBuilding2-Sign

Photo Credit: King Davis

Photo by King Davis

Local Archives

As the Archives came closer to reality, guidance was provided by local archives within the state and The Georgia Department of Archives and History. In 1994, the Society's efforts, with the cooperation and funding assistance of the City of Thomaston, the County of Upson, and the Thomaston-Upson Board of Education, resulted in the establishment of the present facility.

Funding

These three entities along with the Upson Historical Society provide funding for the Archives, which opened in April, 1996. By working together, they have undertaken the task of cutting local government cost while preserving vital permanent records of the citizens of Thomaston and Upson County.

Archives Building

The Thomaston-Upson Archives is housed in the former R. E. Lee Institute high school library, named the George A. Harrison Memorial Library. Professor Harrison was principal of R. E Lee Institute from 1879 to 1886.

Architecture

This Georgian-style building was designed by the architectural firm of Saggus, Williamson, Vaught, and Spiker of Atlanta, Georgia. Land for the library was given by Julian Hightower. In 1968, Community Enterprises, Inc., a foundation of Thomaston Mills, Inc., funded the construction of the library and three decades later furnished the Archives.