history

IMG_0324

The History of Sprewell Bluff Park

The Creek Nation, a Native American tribe, lived on the Flint River. Upson, Talbot, and other surrounding counties belonged to the tribe. It is unclear whether any other settlers owned the land prior to the Creeks. The land that became Upson County was signed over to the Americans in the First Treaty of Indian Springs in 1821. The agreement, part of it, meant that the Native Americans would be forced to leave the land. Georgians were free to expand and settle into new areas. 

Where did Sprewell Bluff Park get its name?

Sprewell Bluff Park got it's name from Jeptha Sprewell, a Talbot County man who lived and cultivated the bluff area sometime before 1850. There is little information known about Jeptha himself but he was a farmer born in Abbeville, South Carolina. Some time through out his life span, he relocated to Talbot County, Georgia. 

CLICK HERE FOR FULL HISTORY OF SPREWELL BLUFF PARK