Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Posted on November 16, 2021 at 9:54 AM by Jamesan Gramme
Mule stables once filled Thomaston’s downtown. Places like the Ritz Theater, Hometown Printers, Wtga, Baby Lane's Children's Consignment Store, Jin’s Beauty, and Pasley Funeral Home’s former location across from the Post Office were all sites for the mule sheds. Just across the street from our building, in what is now the Thomaston Health Spa at the corner of E. Lee and Center Streets, stood another.
Pictured is E.T. Black’s mule Trading Post, built in 1916.
Mr. Ernest Thomas Black, originally from The Rock, was a two-time Mayor of Thomaston (1918-1921) + (1924-1925), peach grower, and successful livestock dealer. In December of 1934, he and Will Trice brokered a deal with President Franklin Delano Roosevelt for the sale of two mules, which the President named “Tug” and “Hop” after two of his aides, Harry Hopkins, Secretary of Commerce, and Dr. Rexford Guy Tugwell, Undersecretary of the Dept. of Agriculture. President FDR was said to be delighted to have appropriately named them as one can hop while the other tugs.
The trade added to Thomaston’s already lucrative livestock industry. At one point, this area was known as Mule Capital of the South with the largest distribution center south of Atlanta. The square was apparently so crowded with mules that wagons and buggies had a tough time crossing the streets.
The trade eventually died out as the boll weevil invaded cotton crops across the South and the introduction of farm tractors eliminated much of the need for the animals. Mr. E.T. Black passed away suddenly in May of 1937. A few years later, his stable was destroyed by fire, eliminating one of the last traces of the thriving industry.
To view mule stable locations, click on the link for Thomaston's Sanborn Maps, 1885-1921. Thomaston Sanborn Maps
Thomaston Times, November 6, 1925.
Thomaston Times, December 7, 1934.
Thomaston Times, April 12, 1945.
E.T. Black's Mule Stables, ca. 1910's-1920's. Contributed by Charles McDaniel for the Upson County Pictorial History.
Posted on June 4, 2021 at 4:50 PM by Jamesan Gramme
Posted on March 17, 2021 at 12:05 PM by Jamesan Gramme
Thomaston's oldest home, the Weaver-Dallas House is set for an open house, Friday, March 26th, 1:00-3:00PM. The home is for sale by the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation via their Revolving Fund Program.
The Georgia Trust asks interested parties to please RSVP to the link here.
205 South Bethel St. Thomaston, GA 30286
To learn more about the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation and to see more photographs of the home, please click this link.
(Text shared from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation)
The earliest version of the Weaver-Dallas House dates to the 1820s, as a one-room house and separate doctor shop, making it the oldest house in Thomaston. Additions in the 1830s and 1840s created a 1 ½ story cottage with Federal and Classical Revival elements. Stepping on site today reveals that not much has changed since then. Located on .98 of an acre, the property includes two smoke houses, a garden shed and a 1930s car shed, and is as close to a time capsule of Georgia history as one may find today. The house has been in the same family since it was purchased by Travis Weaver in 1840. The Weaver-Dallas House lends itself to a number of residential uses, including a comfortable family home, a bed and breakfast, rental properties or an Airbnb.
The Weaver-Dallas House has fifteen rooms in the main house which includes four bedrooms and three bathrooms. Several of the original features in the house have been preserved, including built in bookshelves, original fireplaces and a small stage at the top of the stairs that was used for puppet shows. Modern upgrades have ensured the safety and comfort of the house for years to come.
The two smoke houses on the property have been converted into guest houses with modern amenities. The first smoke house was built in the 1820s, it has one bedroom and one bathroom. The second, larger smoke house was built in the 1840s. It has four rooms which includes an upstairs bedroom along with a kitchen and one bathroom.